Introduce your kids to the joy of classical music.
The Norwalk Symphony Orchestra (Not) Just For Kids program is a lively, fun and interactive program designed to be educational as well as entertaining...and it's free! Members of the orchestra demonstrate their instruments, play for the children, and answer questions in hour long presentations. Throughout the season presentations are made for all instrument families: strings, woodwinds, brass, and percussion. All programs end with attendees having a chance to hold and try to play a beginning level instrument in the “Petting Zoo”.
- Friday, September 21 and Saturday, September 22, 2018: Time Pieces - Strings
Of the four families of instruments, strings are the central component in an orchestra, like guitar in a rock band. Come hear the singing sounds of strings!
- Friday, November 2 and Saturday, November 3, 2018: Celebrate Peace - Mixed Ensemble
Strings, Woodwinds, Brass, and Percussion - each has a variety of voices. From piccolo to double bass, the music the instruments produce vary in many ways but they all join to make an orchestra.
- Friday, November 30 and Saturday, December 1, 2018: Joyful Noise! - Horns
From short and sweet "toots" to broad triumphant walls of sound, the brass section supplies it and you'll get to hear it all!
- Friday, February 8 and Saturday, February 9, 2018: Broadway Bound! - Soloists and Concert Preview
- Friday, March 8 and Saturday, March 9, 2018: The Beat Goes On - Percussion
This wide range of instruments provides the rhythm that drives the orchestra, but also makes many unique and surprising sounds too!
- Friday, May 10 and Saturday, May 11, 2018: Light and Airy - Woodwinds
Filling the air with floating melodies, the winds can also depict sounds of nature and supply a distinctive voice within the orchestra.
All Friday after-school events are held at 4:30 pm at the Norwalk City Hall, 125 East Ave., Norwalk CT (space limited; call 203-956-6771 to reserve)
All Saturday events are held at the following locations:
- 11:00 am - Norwalk Public Library, 1 Belden Ave,, Norwalk, CT(203-899-2780)
- 1:00 pm - New Canaan Public Library, Lamb Room, 151 Main St., New Canaan CT(203-594-5000)
- 3:00 pm - Wilton Library, 137 Old Ridgefield Rd., Wilton, CT(203-762-6336)
With gratitude to our sponsors: